Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Poss. illegal apt. & harrassment from LL

Posted by Laura on December 13, 2001 at 12:05:35:

My fiance and I live in a converted garage apartment in Orange County NY. My fiance has lived here for a year and a half and I moved in on Aug. 9th. The LL's family lives in the house that our apt. is attached to and there is a laundry facility that my fiance was allowed to use, a few months ago he was told he no longer could. The water temp goes ice cold, we have very little heat (got sick from lack of heat and it's gettin cold up here), we have NOT been given reciepts for the rent, the LL, his realatives living in the attached house, and his Aunt that also lives on the property harrass us, the aunt whom we DON'T rent from asks for the rent and dictates terms to us as renters (can't use the washer, date rent is due, living in "sin" for not being married, etc). All the utilities are on one meter, we don't have a control switch in our apt. to turn up the heat in our apt. (it's in the attached house that we don't have access to).1. Is there a registry for Orange county to find out if this place is illegal? 2. Are the laws and complaint forms written for tenant rights for NYC apply upstate? 3. If the same laws apply do we still have to fill out the forms for NYC? The only thing that we can think of to do at this point is withhold rent till everything is fixed. Any info would really be a great help to us, either post it or email it to me directly at sandraven@yahoo.com Thanks, Laura

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name