Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: Smoker Lives In Illegal Apartment In Basement

Posted by consigliere on December 16, 2001 at 15:49:50:

In Reply to: EVICTION posted by Renee on December 14, 2001 at 20:46:32:

Sign the lease and return it to the landlady, by certified mail, return receipt requested, with a cover letter to the landlady, complaining about the smoker in the basement apartment.

If the landlady doesn't get the smoker to stop smoking or to move out, report the illegal basement apartment to the buildings department and to the fire department. They should be more effective than HPD in getting the tenant out of the illegal apartment, and making sure that the illegal apartment isn't re-rented.

Also make sure that you, who live on the first floor, aren't paying for the gas and electricity used in the illegal basement apartment.

But don't count on your lease being renewed after the two-year lease is up.

:
: Through the proper channels I have found that my building in Brooklyn is a legal two family dwelling. I occupy the first floor and another family occupies the second floor. These units are considered to be "A" units because they are for permanent use. The basment floor of this house is being rented out as "B" units meaning rooms only for temporary basis. This is obviously illegal because the house is listed as a two family brick with two A units and 0 B units. What agency can I complain to to get this matter out in the open. No, I am not trying to be mean, but the gentleman (and I use that term loosely) who's renting one of the rooms in the basement apartment is a heavy smoker and the smell is seeping into our apartment on the first floor and aggravating my son's ashtma (which hasn't flared up in over a year). I've tried talking to the landlady about this, but the guy living downstairs feels that he pays his rent, he should be able to do what he wants.
: Help me get him out as this is really a nice apartment and my boys are actually enjoying the backyard.
: She signed the two year lease and gave it to me for my signature, but I have not signed it as of yet due to the problem with smoking.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name