Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: illegal apartment / Now you're worried!

Posted by Ray on December 18, 2001 at 13:38:46:

In Reply to: illegal apartment posted by chris on December 13, 2001 at 15:08:11:

Honestly, I dont understand why you wish to stick it to the landlord just because he gave you notice? Rentals are not guaranteed for life, whether they are legal or not. You sound really angry, and I'm not sure why? You've been there almost 3 years. Why dont you just explain to the LL you cannot afford to move at this time since it is in the middle of a school year, and give him a time frame when he can expect the place to be vacant. Decency works alot better not nastiness. The LL is definitedly wrong for the actions he has taken. But dont get into outbursts with him. Whether the apt is illegal or not, he cannot just change locks and kick you out. That's illegal and he'll be in a heap of trouble for it. But do take the tactful approach. Send him a certified letter detailing what he has been doing. If your children ever get hurt, he's liable. But basically ask him to stop. Its sound like harrassment. It seems he wants you out sooner than later, which is probably why he's turning off lights, etc. but he would have to go through an eviction proceeding. I would start documenting in case his actions get worse. Children arent a disease, but there are parents who let their children run wild and behave like animals without any consideration for other people who may live in the house/bldg.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name