Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Heating in Stabilised Apt. in NYC

Posted by James rubin on December 19, 2001 at 08:03:52:

Greetings,
I have gotten differing opinions on the legality of the heating laws in NYC. I am aware of the written law which states that: "Between the hours of 6am to 10pm the inside temperature must be at or above 68 degrees F. if the outside temperature is at or below 55 degrees F." I am paraphrasing, but that is the gist of it. Now, when I complained to HPD, the lady on the phone said that the heat must be on when the outside temp. is at 55 degrees or below, irrespective of the inside temp., because the landlord had no way to measure the temp inside my apartment. When the inspector came, he said that HPD went by the inside temp. In other words, if it was 50 degrees out, and the inside temp was at or above 68, I had no case!! As it was, when he came, the outside temp was 60 degrees, making the whole thing moot. Meanwhile, my landlord has the heat set to go on at about 48 degrees, and over night , so far, I have not noticed it going on even when the outside temp is in the 30's (although it hasn't been that cold much, yet). I am aware that the law allows the temp inside to go down to 55 degrees over night, and my apt. has gone down to as low as 60 degrees over night.
So, which is it? Does the land lord have to turn the heat on according to the outside temperature only, or, is he allowed to keep it off even into the 40's, as long as the inside temp is 68 or above?
Thanks to anyone that wishes to answer, and a Happy, Healthy and Heated Holiday season to you all!
Regards,
James Rubin

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name