Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: Breaking a lease because of marriage

Posted by Melissa on December 19, 2001 at 14:06:12:

In Reply to: Breaking a lease because of marriage posted by A. Sellars on December 19, 2001 at 12:07:25:

What does your lease say about sub-leasing or terminating? You signed a lease and are responsbile for it until it ends. You can talk with your landlord and try and work something out; maybe he'll let you terminate with a fee or let you find someone to take over the lease. It is not your landlords problem that your are getting married. There is no legal action you can take. A lease is a contract.

: Last December I signed a two year lease on an apartment in Brooklyn. This December I got engaged and plan to move in to her apartment. I am planning on talking to my LL very soon and feel confident that we can work out an agreement. However, if we cannot, what type of legal action can I take to break this lease? It would be a great financial burden to keep both places. I read on tenant.net about the Order from the Residential Tenancies Tribunal but I think this is an Austrialian law.

: Any ideas?

: Thanks,

: A. sellars

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name