Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: My apt was broken into, is the landlord liable?

Posted by ChrisG on December 20, 2001 at 13:11:24:

In Reply to: My apt was broken into, is the landlord liable? posted by peter garanello on December 19, 2001 at 09:05:06:

as far as i understand it, the LL is only liable if it can be proven that he/she was negligent and allowed the situation to occur. had anybody complained about the flimsy locks before? if so, then there may be a case. but otherwise its very tough to prove LL liability.

a guy who lived above me was robbed this year and it was pretty obvious it happened because our LL was giving out copies of the keys to guys who were renovating part of the house. she had no records of who was working and the staff changed all the time. she was just too lazy to show up and let the workers in she made keys for several of them. the robbery occurred and there, too, was no sign of forced entry. but i don't think he ever pursued LL liability, as it was still not completely cut and dried. he did move out however.

: The locks on the door whick was used to break in were flimsy and and the doors to get in the building wasn't even broke. is the LL liable? please email me.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name