Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: Rent increase on rent stab apt can only be 4 or 6%

Posted by Ace on December 28, 2001 at 16:08:56:

In Reply to: Rent increase posted by Lisa on December 27, 2001 at 15:51:30:

based on last amount of current rent. Call DHCR and have the copy of your lease handy. Unless I'm missing something here, LL cannot suddenly demand any increase on your rent stabilized apartment (it IS rent stabilized, your apartment, right?) beyond the initial 4 and 6 percent (4% for one year 6% for two years) and the last lease, which was never changed, meant you were fine paying the same amount for whatever time in between the old lease and new one.

: Need some help.
: I have been living in a rent stabilized apt for 4 years.
: When I first moved in I signed a lease for a year, paying $635.
: The following years after, even though we kept asking the owner wouldnt give myself or the other tennents new leases, She was happy with us just paying the rent as we had been.
: In the last few weeks I received a letter from her demanding I sign a lease in january and increasing my rent to $820 a month.
: My naighbours who have paid the same rent as I have only had their rent increased to $710 and the other $760 for the same space, the other tennent's have had no increase.
: The builing has very old electric and plumbing. No heating so far for this winter, basically no capital improvment since I've lived here.
: Can anyone help, as she is threatning to evict me if I do not sign the lease.
: Also I need to know legally how much she can raise my rent.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name