Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

entitled to $$

Posted by 718 on December 31, 2001 at 18:22:58:

In Reply to: Re: LL wants to move me to another apt. Entitled to $? posted by Cranky Tenant on December 29, 2001 at 12:47:51:

You are definitely entitled to compensation if you are doing your landlord the favor of making an apartment available for renovation.

I just figured out that my employer will give one day off with pay to employees who have to move. It seems like a reasonable basic request that he give you at least a day's pay, and you might ask for up to a week's pay for the lost time and energy that goes into a move if you decide to take him up on his offer.

I would be very careful, though, because if he has visions of high end apartments he is eventually going to want the same thing in your new place. Definitely talk to a lawyer, but also consider finding out whether the new apartment is rent stabilized, or asking for a longer lease than just two years.

The new apartment is about the same size, but does it get equal or better light? Is the building as clean? Will he pay for paint and re-hanging of shelves or whatever personal construction you have done in the last ten years? Make a list of everything you have added to the apartment, your towel racks or medicine cabinet or kitchen cupboards or paint or wall paper. Have you improved the floors? Do your curtains fit the new windows? Give him a long, itemized list of what it would take for you to make a new apartment your home and explain that you naturally need to be compensated for that effort.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name