Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: After a fire, can I break the lease?

Posted by consigliere on January 07, 2002 at 13:46:45:

In Reply to: After a fire, can I break the lease? posted by fd dodd on January 07, 2002 at 13:01:08:

You should be able to get a rent abatement for the lack of gas service, especially if Con Edison has suspended gas service to the entire building because of damaged gas lines in the building, as well as for other problems related to the fire.

But why haven't the phone company and the cable company restored service? Unless the landlord is stopping them from restoring service, I can't see a basis for a rent abatement for these services.

:
: I am nearing the end of my lease in a 7-story, pre-war tenament in NYC that caught fire recently. The fire caused major damage to the building on the floors above me and fortunately I escaped with only minor damage. I have heat, hot water and electricity but I have no way to cook, no phone and no cable (I do a lot of work at home and I need the Internet). The building is a wreck. It is dirty, unsecured and, I feel, very unsafe and I want out of my lease. Do I have any options under the Warranty of Habitability? What other advice do you have?

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name