Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: NYC law re: shoveling after snowstorm

Posted by TenantNet on January 08, 2002 at 13:20:20:

In Reply to: Re: NYC law re: shoveling after snowstorm posted by yippee1999 on January 08, 2002 at 13:10:09:

You responded to the previous message before we had a chance to delete it. That was Richard who has been banned from this forum and he was trolling. You asked a question about the LL's legal responsibility -- not whether it made commen sense or not. There may be times to work with a landlord and not demand all you're due, but that is independent of the legalities. So the answer is yes, the owner is required to shovel the snow (I think it's in the Housing Maintenance Code -- someone correct me if I'm wrong) -- and more to the point, the owner is requiired to have a super or someone on site to provide maintenance for the building. Again, check the HMC for specifics. (some of this might also be covered in the NYS Multiple Dwelling Law -- which sometimes overlaps with the HMC).

: RESPONSE: I would never consider doing this, since as a landlord, it is generally a MONEY-MAKING business.... a job if you will. If it is her legal responsibility to shovel, and I PAY her rent, then it should be her job to do it. If I were to start shovelling, she'll think she can walk all over me. I've only been renting from her for the past 7 months, and she has not indicated to me that she is an outstanding landlord. Rather, she just does the bare minimum. So why should I do anything extra for her? I am already the best tenant she's ever had, and she has even told me so....

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name