Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: question for experienced advocates concerning vacancy/luxury decontrol

Posted by me (the original) on January 18, 2002 at 15:15:59:

In Reply to: question for experienced advocates concerning vacancy/luxury decontrol posted by nyhawk on January 02, 2002 at 21:33:52:

$900 plus 20% gives you $980 x 40 = about $40,000 in work needed to be done to decontrol it. Maybe he got estimates in advance? As far as I know (though this may be incorrect) the landlord no longer needs to give notice. In 1997 they did but more recently that changed (though someone please correct me if I'm wrong)

:
: we all know that when a rent stabilized apartment becomes vacant a landlord can make improvements (without the need for any tenant's written permission) and can add 1/40 of the cost of those improvements to the apartment's rent and if the rent goes over $2,000 the apartment is no longer subject to regulation.

: how about this unique situation??..... rent stab. apartment that had rented for about $900 becomes vacant......l/l and new tenant sign lease in 6/01 for lease to start 8/01 at a rental of $4,200....l/l states on lease that the apartment is not subject to rent stab because of luxury decontrol.....here is the kicker: during the period after the lease is signed in 6/01 and before the new tenant takes possession in 8/01 the l/l claims to have made improvements to the vacant apartment, so that such improvements could justify the rent bump to $4,200 and take the apartment out of rent stab... if the lease had been signed around 8/1 this would be the usual situation........ but it was signed BEFORE the alleged improvements were made to the apartment......... also, l/l never served the new tenant with any notice giving the new tenant the right to challenge the rent bump and the destabilization of the apartment..........any ideas on how to challenge this???????...............discuss........thanks

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name