Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: REFRIGERATOR DIES...

Posted by Cranky Tenant on January 20, 2002 at 21:59:25:

In Reply to: REFRIGERATOR DIES... posted by COL on January 20, 2002 at 08:15:07:

The landlord is required to supply you with a refrigetator at no additional cost. Whether it's new or used is his option. If you demand a new refrigerator he can raise your rent. However, there was some change in the environmental regulations (freon?) so used refrigerators are not as plentiful as they were, so landlords sometimes replace the old one with a new one anyway.

If you really want a new refrigerator you might consider buying your own. Then you can get an energy efficient model that could decrease your utility bill enough to pay for itself.

: HI, I LIVE IN NEW YORK IN A RENT-STABILIZED APARTMENT BUILDING THAT IS PRE-WAR AND HAS MULTIPLE DWELLINGS.I HAVE LIVED THERE FOR 17 YEARS.UPON MOVING IN, A NEW REFRIGERATOR WAS PLACED IN MY APT. AS OF 1/18/02 THE OLD REFRIGERATOR STOPPED WORKING. I INFORMED THE SUPER THAT MORNING AND THAT I HAVE LOST ALL THE CONTENTS THAT WAS IN THE REFRIGERATOR...I HAD TO BUY MORE FOOD AND ICE ON A DAILY BASIS, AND I WOULD LIKE TO BE REIMBURSED FOR SUCH.

: THE SUPER IN TURN STATED THE LANDLORD WILL NOT REIMBURSE ME AND THAT IF I WANTED A NEW REFRIGERATOR I WOULD HAVE TO PAY AN ADDITIONAL $10.00 TO $20.00 PER MONTH. I REPLIED TO THE SUPER THAT I WILL NOT ACCEPT THOSE TERMS SINCE THAT REFRIGERATOR WAS 17 YEARS OLD!. THE SUPER HAS NOW ON SAT. 1/19/02 OFFERED ME A USED REFRIG THAT HAS TO BE CLEANED AND I ADVISED HIM I WOULD ACCEPT THAT IF THE LAW STATES I HAVE TO...AM I ENTITLED TO A NEW REFRIGERATOR? IF YES, DO I HAVE TO PAY ADDITIONAL MONEY PER MONTH? AND CAN I BE REIMBURSED FOR ALL THE FOOD I LOST?...I ALSO HAVE KEPT FOOD RECEIPTS SINCE 1/18/02. THANK YOU FOR YOUR HELP...COL

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name