Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Are clauses requiring the tenants to get liability insurance legal?

Posted by Ellen Hodgson on January 27, 2002 at 13:38:51:

I live in Milford PA. We have an apartment over a store in the middle of town. Until this week, we had basically an oral, month to month lease with the landlady. We have lived here since Sept. 2000.

In Sept. 2001, she came to us and said the rent was going up somewhat, and that would be expected in October. She also said she was finally getting around to having a formal lease drawn up, did we want a copy? Of course we said yes.

We finally received this lease in the mail on friday, 01/25/02. Dated for Sept. 1 2001. It stated the increase in rent as ten dollars higher than she had told us. NO problem. I can deal with that. What has me bothered is a clause requiring us to : "provide insurance for personal property and liability for the rented premises for an amount of $500,000 and shall name the landlord as an additional insured under such policy. Landlord agrees to provide lilablity insurance on the premises for an equal lamount of $500,000 together with such other fire or casualty insurance as the Landlord may elect. Tenants agree to abide by all safety rules and regulations applied by the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania and any insurance company utilized by the Landlord for insuring the premises."

Is this legal? I don't think I can obtain that much insurance. And if I can, I don't think I can afford it! We're budgeted down to our coffee money as it is. If no one knows for certain, where can I look for the information and what search keywords should I use?

Thanks for your help!

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name