Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: Statute of Limitations

Posted by me again on January 28, 2002 at 21:16:55:

In Reply to: Statute of Limitations posted by Daryl on January 28, 2002 at 19:48:12:

: Whats the statute of limitations for a landlord to go after a tenant, after fulfilling all rent duties of a lease, for damages putatively done to the apartment?

in what city/state are you talking about?
did you receive a statement from the landlord detailing your security deposit and any deductions made from it within the time required by law? (usually 30 days, some less, some a little more).
if you've received any of your security deposit and the statement within the 30 days, i believe that the landlord has waived his only option to recover damages. if he didn't send you the statement, you may be able to sue him in small claims court for the deposit (and sometimes double or triple damages) for failure to do so.
what kind of damage takes 3 years to uncover?
one thing i forgot, if the landlord had no way of contacting you, no address, etc., the 30 day limit probably doesn't apply, and not quite sure if that clock can start at any time after he locates you.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name