Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

quite complicated, I'm not paying, what next?

Posted by melissa on January 31, 2002 at 11:51:55:

Hi. I rent from the owner of an apartment in a co-op building. I signed a two year lease and he collected two months rent for security deposit. It's been unbelievably hot in the apt., and I wrote him a letter with my January check expressing my complaint and asking him to phone me. I went away in January and we finally spoke a few days ago (after leaving several messages with him and the building management). The landlord advised me to call the super who can come and shut the heat off, but the problem is that the apt. is a lobby level apartment that is directly above steam pipes. The super came by and saw my point, he said that the pipes beneath the apartment are old and decaying, heat is leaking through pinholes in the pipes and in order for them to fix it, they need to rip up the floors, replace them and do extensive extensive repairs-- making the apartment uninhabitable. The manager of the building came by also and concurred, he mentioned that I would have to move to another unit in the building while the repairs were made, but he wasn't sure if one was available. So, now what? February rent is due tomorrow and I haven't paid because I don't know if I'm staying or what the time line is for this. It's not like I own the apartment and have an attachment or obligation to stay there. I don't want to move out, into another apt. and then return to my place. It's a huge pain and the apartment really isn't a deal-- I don't think it's worth it. Am I obligated to pay February rent? I want to get all my money back, from past rent, security and broker. How possible is that scenario? Please give feedback.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name