Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: LL is threatening eviction after partner moved in

Posted by yippee1999 on February 05, 2002 at 12:48:41:

In Reply to: LL is threatening eviction after partner moved in posted by PA on February 05, 2002 at 12:25:21:

I think your LL is right. Although you may not understand "what the big deal is", I think from your LL's perspective, it is this:

Since your LL only has a legal contract with you, and not your partner, if your partner say damages the property somehow, or leaves garbage all over the place or whatever, there's not much your LL can do. Also, let's say your partner also has an infant that comes along with it, maybe from a previous relationship. If you guys don't pay the rent for a month or two, the LL is stuck, since there's now a baby involved. While these scenarios may never happen, and you know this to be the case, the LL does not know this, and so is only trying to protect his/her interests. I don't know where LL's draw the line between an occasional overnight guest, versus someone who's there more often, but if your partner literally moved all their stuff in, that is definitely a violation of the lease as far as I know. I think your LL has every legal right to either kick you out, or insist that your partner leave. However, to avoid this, I'd suggest you talk with your LL, say that you really didn't think this would be a problem, and ask if you could pay a few hundred dollars more a month, until the end of your lease.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name