Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Another DUMBO Loft Eviction

Posted by Jane on February 08, 2002 at 15:15:16:

I live in a DUMBO loft - commercial. The building has 14 units, 4 of which are residential. I am halfway through a 5 year lease. The landlord knows people live there, was 100% fine about it, said it was fine to tell anyone, etc, but of course it is strictly a commerical lease - no mention that we can live there written down. The original landlord was Kalmon Dolgin but the building was sold about 2 months ago. We secretly found out it is the brother of one of the original owners. Today we received a call that we must immediately remove all walls [he said "cubicles"] or face eviction - because we were breaking fire code. we can no longer live there at all.
I have been following DUMBO/williamsburg commercial loft evictions and figured we were safe because we ARE up to code. We get fire inspections all the time and there are usually problems, which we always fix. but the rooms have sprinklers, there are multiple entrances all clear of stuff, windows in the rooms, etc etc. our landlord claimed he received a $2,500 summons from the fire dept[which we have to pay of course] because we are living here . they never had a problem in the past 2.5 years. he also said we were the only ones living in the building, so he blatantly lied. he comes to the building all the time and over 1/4 of the spaces are lived in openly, everyone in the building gets along and knows this.
so ownership was switched and consequently all residential residents are being kicked out.
i just cancelled our rent check which wasnt deposited yet for february. we have 2 more days until it is technically late, i just wanted to make sure he didnt have it if we really do have to vacate immediately. is this ok, or should i pay?
let me know what you think about all this and who could help. i am happy to vacate if he is technically right, but i need to make sure who ir right prior, obviously. thanks so much.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name