Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: Breaking a lease

Posted by Stacy on February 13, 2002 at 09:39:18:

In Reply to: Breaking a lease posted by Henry Lovera on February 12, 2002 at 21:29:38:

It sounds like you're in a very good position to negotiate your way out. Offer to help your landlord fill the apartment, and ask to be allowed to leave as soon as a new tenant is found. One way to get your deposit back: Request a walk-through inspection in advance for damages, and ask the landlord to use your deposit as your last month's rent.

If your landlord refuses your request to break the lease and help fill the place, then I'd say you're off the hook in terms of the shower, guests, etc. He can't evict you for any of that, and you'll have already offered to leave.

: I move into an apartment, in Fresh Meadows Queens, NYC.

: The apartment is in a 2 family home, and the landlord, know wishes our lives to revolve around his.

: I understand not making noise when its late and I think it is a reasonable request.

: But here a few of his requests so far.

: We had another couple over on a saturday night and at 1 am sunday he called that he couldn't sleep. we had no music playing, the television was off and we were talking in a normal voice, but because his walls are paper thin he could hear us and not sleep.

: Just the other day he requested that we not take a shower after 11:30 pm because it wakes him.

: Is it me or those it seem resonable that if I pay my rent I should be able to take a shower whenever I want.

: At this point I don't want to battle I just want to move.

: What are my right in recovering my deposit.
: And can I sublease He didn't put any constraints reguarding subleases in my agreement as my landlord calls it.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name