Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: Down and Out Friend - not anymore.....

Posted by me again on February 13, 2002 at 14:56:18:

In Reply to: Down and Out Friend posted by Nicky on February 13, 2002 at 14:21:28:

: I was trying to help out a friend by allowing her to use my address to receive various benefits. I allowed her to spend a couple of nights a week for the last few months. I recently informed her that she could no longer stay in my apartment. She claims that she has a right to stay since she is getting mail at my place. I never allowed her to stay 30 consecutive days in my apartment. How do I get her to leave my place? I live in New York City and only my name is on the lease.

from the info you provided, your friend used you, *probably* to defraud some government agency (you say 'various benefits', am i incorrect??). now she can probably make a case that she lives there, because of the mail situation. you will probably have to go through the full eviction process to get her out. she probably won't be your friend anymore, if she actually was in the first place. do NOT lock her out or move her stuff out, you could get into BIG legal trouble if you do. i don't believe the 30 consecutive days means anything, because, according to *somebody*, she lives at your apartment.
if the 'reason' she used your address is to receive some sort of government benefit that she was not actually entitled to, you *could* use this info as 'bargaining power' over her, i.e., you could inform the agency about what is going on if she refuses to move out.
if that fails, best shot is to (at least) consult an attorney to make sure you are covered to make sure all your i's are dotted and t's crossed in the process. good luck.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name