Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: Be careful...

Posted by Angela on February 22, 2002 at 12:23:18:

In Reply to: Be careful... posted by MikeW on February 22, 2002 at 12:05:35:

I know the risk if I expose him that I could get evicted as well. To me, I'd rather us both not live there - then for him to "profit" from his supposed investment - since he can't actually afford to live there. I guess I'm just mad more than anything else.

: You could easily cut off your nose to spite your face in this situation.

: The rule you're talking about is very new and is under legal challege from a number of different directions. Also, it seems to apply more to the relationship between the LL and the prime tenant (tenant who's named on the lease), than the relationship between the prime tenant and any roommates. The LL can use a roommate overcharge as a reason to evict both the prime tenant and the roommate(s). So you could end up getting yourself and your roommate bounced if you push the issue.

: : I recently spoke to a lawyer that told me that there is a new NY law stating that a tenant cannot be charged more than 1/2 of the rent if the apartment is shared. I need a copy of this law - or more information on it since I am getting screwed over by my roomate.

: : If anyone can help I would greatly appreciate it.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name