Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: pests (termites-ants?)

Posted by BB on February 23, 2002 at 13:30:21:

In Reply to: pests (termites-ants?) posted by veronica on February 21, 2002 at 12:41:08:

Send the LL a letter (use cert. of mailing), stating this is your
3rd(?) request, explain what happened, and request an extermination and/or the sealing of the area. Give him approx. 7 different days, as to which you will be home to let him come in and make the repairs (he has from 9am -5pm, but must arrive no later than 12 noon), ask him to secure a date and notify you in writing.
Call HPD or Health Dept., and see if you can file a compliant. Get a copy of report.
Keep a loaded camera handy, if they come out again, try to take pictures of them and where the trail leads to...
Keep receipts of any money you have spent in regards to alleviating the problem. If your LL doesn't respond to your request in a timely manner. You can file an HP action to force him to fix it and any other conditions or you can fix it yourself, keep receipts and withold the portion of the rent you spent.
I'm not a lawyer, and I'm basing my response on NY law.
Best of luck!

: Hi,
: last night I saw an invation of termites (I think) in my bedroom.
: They came through the floor trim, which doesn't go all the way to the floor, leaving a space of about 1 inch between the wall and the floor.
: I asked the landlord several times about putting some filling to seal this, but he never did.
: Last night I had to vacuum all these insects, but I don't want this to happen again, and being the landlord such an irresponsible person, I would like to find out what my rights are.
: Any help/advice?
: thanks,
: -verónica

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name