Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: Can I cancel a lease renewal?..not much time

Posted by KK on February 25, 2002 at 23:21:20:

In Reply to: Re: Can I cancel a lease renewal?..not much time posted by mac on February 25, 2002 at 19:44:50:

Thank you for reaffirming what I suspected. Hopefully I can work this out this week. Luckily, I have already put two calls into lawyers, but I will definitely call the Bar Association as well. I know time is not on my side, but unfortunately, life doesn't always give you 3 months notice. :) I've got to at least give this a shot!!

Thanks again...I will try to let everyone know what happens.

: I suggest you take tomorrow and maybe wednesday off of work and consult with some lawyers, you might be able to give them a 30 day notice of non renewal but it would have to be done by March 1st. ...
: Call the NY bar association and see if you can get a free or low cost consultation.
: ;
: ;
: : I signed my lease renewal (free market apartment in NYC)in January for the new lease term to begin April 1. I have had several bad things happen to me since then (my business is closing, my current roommate is moving out...etc etc) I want to move out on March 31, when my current lease ends and cancel the renewal that I signed before. Is this possible? Has anyone ever succesfully done this?

: : I called the management company, and they said that the lease renewal was approved, though I have yet to see the copy of the new lease (I didn't know it was approved until I called to ask). They told me that I could terminate the lease under the lease termination clause...1 month penalty and I would have to move out but still be on the line until they re-rented. Of course, I asked them how long they typically took to re-rent apartments and the answer I got was "It's a soft market". It doesn't look good to me....I cannot afford to move out in the hopes that they will find someone.

: : Also, I am assuming that legal advice would be necessary...does anyone have any recommedations for a good lawyer who is familiar with this sort of thing?

: : Please feel free to email if you can help!!

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name