Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: commercial RE and privacy

Posted by Crabky Tenant on February 28, 2002 at 15:39:49:

In Reply to: commercial RE and privacy posted by Joanne Miller on February 28, 2002 at 12:48:01:

I had a similar problem when I rented commercial studio space in lower Manhattan. Not only did the LL let herself in whenever she thought something might be wrong, but she'd call me on my cell phone and expect me to show up on a moments notice.

I would imagine you'd have the same right to privacy. You should be entitled to install your own locks and security system but, the downside to commercial space is, the landlord is under no obligation to renew your lease when it's up. And, even if they do renew, there's no limit to how much they can raise your rent.

: Do the same privacy laws regarding residential RE apply to commercial? I have a storefront and the LL is always stopping by unannounced, checking this and that, which often involves a visit to my storeroom, ostensibly to check for leaks. I think he's just being nosy and is really checking to see how my business is doing. Can is stop him? I also worry that he comes in when I am not there. Can I change the locks on my doors? I have a juice store in Brooklyn, New York. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name