Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Harrassment in Nebraska

Posted by John Manson on June 13, 1996 at 21:52:50:

We moved up to Nebraska from owning our home in Texas. We rented from Annette Mahoney in Omaha, NE. We signed a lease for one year starting in August 1995 through July of 1996. We signed the lease in early August Then headed back home to sell our house. Ms Mahoney lives in Stockton, CA., so she stayed with us paying August Lease until August 30th refurbishing the house to bring it up to rental standards. We moved in the house September 05, 1995 then thats when our hellish nightmare started. She began to call us long distance demanding rent 2 weeks before it was due. She used to work for the same company that I worked for and she took out on a mental disability. She knew when I got payed and she was deamnding rent 2 weeks early on my 20th paycheck. She started telling us about all the other families that she evicted bragging on herself as if she was caught up in her glory of evicting people. This got me worried and as we made friends with our next door neighbors, they began to tell us about her harrassing the previous tenants. The Horror stories started coming in from the neighbors about her past harrassment for rent early. November came and we purposely wouldn't airborne her money order until the day before the 30th. ( next day air) It costs more but I wanted to make sure that she got her money and signed for it. She called us on November 29th and deamnded us to get out of her house. She hired a Management Corporation to evict us, but under their investigation they advised her that we've done nothing wrong and further advised her to drop her charges.We didn't move because she reeived rent that next day as scheduled. We didn't talk to her for three months which was pretty nice , but it didn't stop on the late night and early morning phone hang ups that we were receiving. I didn't think much about it, so I got Caller ID. It didn't help since she was calling out of state , it only tracked the local telephone service. We just lived with the annoyance, it slacked off. We were late a couple of days with rent in March by 10 Days, so I calculated what each day cost and payed her the additional total for the 10 days in addition to the months rent too. She started calling us and telling us that she was going to sell the house and she was sending her her realtor to appraise it, which he did. The phone calls started up after I informed her that we were looking at apartments just in case she had a buyer. We found some apartments that we had to qualify for and they called her to get a reference. Keep in mind that I didn't want her to kick us out on the street with no place lined up already up to move. She said that she didn't want to give a reference because of her fear of reprisal of what we would do to the house. That made me mad, but was alright with me. That was totally in her right somewhat. What she did after that was wrong, dead wrong. She called the apartment complex and told them that she was scared of us. That we've given her hot checks for all of our rent. That the apartment complex ought to know about us, to watch us. The apartments called us and asked us about the allegations. We provided them with all the MONEY ORDER receipts since thats what she wanted per our lease and all the airborne receipts showing when they were delivered. She made herself look pretty stupid, but it still cost us three months upfront lease plus security deposit. Then she called the apartments and told them that we were deadbeats and she was going to evict us..She left that on their answering machine at 2:00 in the morning. Then the phone calls that we were receiving finally made sense. It was her calling us and harrassing us. We made a decision per her request back in NOvember and moved out May 05th, 1996. After being acosted by her 85 year old mother I know where she gets it from. She threatened us in front of all the neighbors, Thank Goodness, they over heard, to be our witnesses. NOw today I get served papers from her lawyers of her suit filed for the abandonment of her house and repair damages. Luckily I took the neighbors on the tour of the house before I locked the key up to show them the cleanliness and undamage of the house. I've got a tenant attorney I think if she'll take the case. Do I have a rebuttal case and harrassment case. Especially if they check her phone charges? Someone please advise...Thanks!

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name