Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Protection Against Realtors in NYC

Posted by l.woods on July 01, 1996 at 20:35:21:

I am wondering what rights a prospective tenant has when he or she is applying for an apartment. My boyfriend and I recently saw an apartment, liked it and put down a $400 deposit as well as $120 for a credit check. The realtor then strung along for a week until he finally told us that we were to sign the lease. He told us to whom to make out checks, and in what amounts, but when my boyfriend showed up the next day to go over last minute details before the lease signing, the realtor told us that the apartment that the apartment that we had looked at had been given away to another couple who gave a "superior offer" and we were to take a different apartment that we had yet to even see. We refused the second apartment (which was smaller and darker) and expressed our outrage at the realtor's duplicity. In the days since then, the owner of the realty company has apologized and refunded our deposit and the money for the credit check. As a matter of fact, he's apologizing so profusely that he's acting pretty guilty. Did they violate rights that we don't even know about? What does it mean when you put down a deposit for an apartment? If anyone knows anything about this, let me know.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name