Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Unsigned lease-Am I responsible for rent if I leave

Posted by Buffalo Tenant on September 22, 1996 at 17:24:11:

I signed a lease for a year starting June 1,1995 to May 31, 1996. I wanted to move then but was not able to because of financial difficulty. I sent a letter to the management service asking for a renewal of my lease. In response I received a call from someone saying I would need to go to their offices and sign my lease. I have not signed a new lease, nor have they asked me again to sign it. Is the letter I sent (signature included) binding? I really want to move-high utilities, repairs which have not been completed, loud tenants and centipedes (which I am deathly afraid of). I have reported these some of theses things but if I tell them I'm leaving...can they hold me resonsible to pay the rent for the rest of the lease? I've read the other responses on breaking leases & the Tenant's Rights guide...but my situation seems somewhat unique because of the letter I sent & the unsigned lease. I plan to visit a Legal Service...but would be interested in some feedback. Thank You!

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name