Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Lawyers' Fee

Posted by CeeCee on October 13, 1996 at 15:04:37:

I am a little disturbed regarding a letter I mailed to my landlord regarding a
a grievance that I had with them. This letter was sent to my landlord so that they
can view my complaint and therefore take care of the issue themselves. Instead
the letter was forwarded to their lawyers for review, and I was replied to by their
firm imstead. I did not mind that since I had also forwarded a cc to their law firm
as well. What is disturbing and upsetting to me is te fact that on my next monthly
rent statement included with my rent charge was a lwayers' fee as well for $40.00.
I sincerely feel and uphold greatly that I should not be charge such an unheard of
fee, since the letter was mailed to the landlord directly. I did not request that
it be turned over to their law firm, nor did I expect that to occur. Basically,
I know fear that I can not complain to my landlord in the future since I dread
that each time, I will be slapped with a fee that should not be. I feel that if
the landlord can not take care of their tenant's issues and has to be forwarded to
their lawyers each time, it should not be a my expense. After all, if I take it upon
myself to consult with a lawyer regarding tenant/landlord issues should I assume that my
landlord is going to flip the bill...I don't think so. Can someone please answer this
problem as to if the landlord has justification in this charge, and if I am liable to pay?

Thank you!!

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name