Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: Former landlord gone, new landlord unknown.

Posted by Israel Zayas on November 05, 1996 at 21:49:57:

In Reply to: Re: Former landlord gone, new landlord unknown. posted by TenantNet on November 05, 1996 at 02:46:23:

I went to the non-payment proceeding, making a longer story short. I tried to explain to the judge what was happening... I quoted information I learned about the multiple dwelling law and multiple requirements he had to have before taking me to court. I had demanded the lawyer show proof that the person taking me to court was infact the new landlord. The lawyer for the new landlord didn't have proof, the judge told the lawyer "can proof be faxed over?" the lawyer replied "the landlord doesn't have the deed at this time." The judge, to settle the situation sided with the lawyer and asked me to assume the new landlord was legit. What would I do? I stated I would give a list of violations and pay my rent... The lawyer after hearing what I had said started writing out a stipulation. I announced that the problem hasn't been resolved, the question "if the landlord was legit what would you do?" didn't mean I agreed with anything.

A trial is set for November 12, 1996 I have no idea what to do if I lose this case. I'm assuming the non-payment proceeding is just to collect rent, but what can happen? Legally? My defense is that I don't know who the landlord is, I feel I have that right to know without any retaliation. I've had inspectors from HPD, inspectors from the fire department and called numerous times with complaints, nothing seems to be happening.

I have 3 pink copies from HPD (more are on the way) and a copy of violations from the fire department. What should I ask for at the trial (I printed the tenants guide). Need more information in this situation.

Thank you...
Israel

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name