Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

This is how I feel about Lt. Gov. Betsy Ross

Posted by Sir Loving on May 23, 1997 at 22:50:37:

If you like where you are then by all means - stay there - invest there - be happy there.
I'm where I want to be. I have a right to be here - because I pay rent here and was born here - It says so on my lease and birth certificate.
Housing here has been in an emergency all of my life and that is why we have always had rent regulations not the other way around as some strangers assert.
By the way, these same people have yet to contest that it was the Homestead Act of the west that gave Government land to "a few lucky people".
I wish somebody had given me something for nothing like they did out west.
In the city, all but few landlords have sold their interest long ago. Some of theses older buildings, subject to the old laws, were sold many times to various investors. The new ones knew (or were responsible for knowing) the existing law at the time of their speculative investment. In my building, six out of ten apartments are free market apartments due to substantial renovation. I think two are rent stabilized (but it's none of my business). I really don't see my landlord as having a problem, he knew the risks, and he manages very well, especially when you consider the four lucrative storefronts that accompany the property.
It is those other slumlords that are creating the problem. They are not maintaining and will never maintain their buildings. They are also the first ones in line to sponsor political fundraisers to end the laws. They don't care about how the laws effect decent people trying to raise a family. They feel the kids will do just fine in the homeless shelters. Many problems happen when children do not have proper homes, enough food, proper clothing, and proper education. They end up having to do wrong by society in order to survive instead of becoming successful and productive members of our society. Those Slumlords don't care about that. They don't care about the urban plight of the poor and the middle class. They just see the $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ if they can get rid of the rent laws and charge $4.500.00 for one or two bedroom apartment that was formerly renting for substantially less.
They don't want to and have no inclination to rebuild the city - they only want to rip the city dwellers off by changing things around so they can inherit the profits from the ensuing windfall if these laws were to suddenly change. There is no way they will lower anybody's rent when they don't have to by law. These pigs would rather see an apartment go vacant, than to give somebody a break.
They know that if they hold out long enough, in the long run, people will have no choice but to - in the words of Senator Joseph Bruno "Come limping up to the table". Everyone knows Senator Bruno's support in the Senate is questionable - that's exactly why he refuses to allow any of the rent bills to come to the Senate floor for debate.

Rent Laws in New York City as voted on by the City Council (47-3) are for the good of the residents of the entire city and should be renewed with no weakening amendments. Our City's Mayor, a very intelligent individual, is also in full support of these laws. Our Entire State Assembly, especially Speaker Sheldon Silver will accept no compromise. Many of our State Senators are in favor of these laws. Our Catholic Church represented by our Cardinal has spoken in favor of these laws. Crossing the fence to the other side - Even the Lt. Governor, a Fellow Republican knows that the laws are good for the people. She knows that's the only thing keeping us from the sharks. She's staked her future political career on it and I whole-heartedly applaud her for standing up against her party and doing what's right. She was in Albany, rallying along side tenants. And let's not forget, another hand for our esteemed United States Congressman Rangel and US Congressman Maloney who just a few days before, attending still another tenants rally, were posing for the cameras for everyone to see that they too are in support of theses laws that protect the tenants.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name