Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

collecting on old eviction judgement

Posted by whattodo on June 01, 1997 at 13:12:22:

Several years ago I had some financial problems and was sued for eviction. During the proceedings, I explained thatI was back at work and could set up a payment plan for the back rent owed in addition to paying the ongoing rent. The landlords lawyer toldme that the landlords main interest was in getting the apartment back (it was rent stabilized) and if I would just vacate the apartment I wouldn't have to worry about the back rent. Since it was several months worth of rent and I had no particular fondness for the apartment, I agreed, and vacated in 30 days, as stated in the stip. Being very young and naive at the time, I beleived what the lawyer said about the money and put none of it in the stip. They went ahead with the eviction after I had moved and got a judgement for the back rent and additional months rent that I was no longer there. Now , after many years, their lawyers are contacting me to collect the judgement. Is there any recourse? I offered originally to set up a payment plan and was talked out of it so that they could have the apartment bac. Is there any kind of statute of limitations for collecting these things?

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name