TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: Landlord Buster

Posted by Erika on June 24, 1997 at 16:46:39:

In Reply to: Landlord Buster posted by Abuser on June 24, 1997 at 05:22:03:

: :
: : :
: : :Are we as a society expected to subsidize a small slumlord who's only goal is to make a profit? If he's dumb enough to pay $100,000 for an $800.00 dollar roof job should we pick up the tab for his lack of expertise? Should we pay for his brand new lexus that he uses to pick up the rent once a month? Couldn't he have used an older station wagon instead?

Here is what this discussion is all about. There is an assumption that some bad apples make up the entire Landlord population. The majority of landlords in Park Slope for example, are brownstone owners who are empty nesters. They no longer need the extra space, but need the extra income to subsidize their meager Social Security. So they rent out one floor in their home. So should these people be cheated out a reasonable rent?

The building I was referring to was a 60 unit Co-op which needed a NEW roof. NOT PATCHWORK. At a certain point, patchwork is no longer an option and that is when this roof had to be redone. The building in question had been doing patchwork for the past 10 years. The only problem is that one area was repaired, another one would open up. That is what happens when something ages, it wears away and it needs to be replaced. At a certain point you don’t darn you socks anymore. You buy a new pair because the effort and cost involve greatly exceed the cost and effort for something new.

Besides, The last time I looked materials weren't free and neither were the salaries of contracted employees. Do you think that this building didn't do bidding for the job? Get a reality check to see what things cost. We want to redo the floors in my apartment. A box of 27 tiles in the midrange costs $65 per box. Now mind you, if you buy the cheapest box, that would cost about $35, but the quality would reflect the price and the tiles will tear and come up within a year. To tile and area that is 9 ft by 5 ft would require 45 tiles. To do an entire room would cost anywhere between $250-$500 depending on the size of the room and the quality of the tiles. That is the cost of materials only. Now I am sure that roofing materials are just as expensive, and the square footage is a lot more than simply a room. So if you believe that a roof can be redone for $800 I would like to ask in what century did you hear such a quote? Even if it a small landlord, do you think he should do the job himself? Not everyone has the expertise to do this, even people who are handy. Not to mention that this will have to pass inspection by the City of New York. That isn’t free either. I think you should think about that.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name