Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: Tenants rock Pataki at the Seaport.

Posted by Sir Loving on April 19, 1997 at 10:09:28:

In Reply to: Re: Tenants rock Pataki at the Seaport. posted by TenantNet on April 18, 1997 at 23:12:50:

: : The Assembly passed the law that we want. The Senate said not yet.
: : But the majority of the Senators responded that they would pass the law
: : as is when it's properly put on the Senate floor. I for one will be
: : sending letters to follow-up my telephone calls. See you on Tenant Rally
: : Day. As for Silver, he knows better than anyone else that without
: : our rent regulations....... He's History.

: I don't think you understood what I said or what's going on. The bill you're
: referring to (A.2) was rejected by most tenant groups and put up in secret
: by Silver and Vito Lopez (who is about the worst excuse for a Housing
: Committee Chair that they could find). The bill was a poison pill, nothing
: else and in the long run would have done more harm than good.

The A.2A bill (passed by the Assembly on 3/17/97) permanently extends the state authorization for municipalities to continue rent regulations.

The Senate vote was for a completely different bill (had nothing to do with the Assembly bill) and it was not a vote on the merits, it was a motion to discharge.

The Senate has no bill. What diffrerent bill are you talking about? The vote defeated a Democratic motion to bring a four-year extension of the laws to the Senate floor. [4/8/97] New York Times.

: Silver has long been a landlord's man no matter what speaches he's giving now.

In passing the A.2A the Assembly has made it clear that their intention is to preserve rent regulated housing.

The laws will be renewed.

Bruno comment regarding people not taking his threat seriously, he replied, If they are stupid enough to do that, they will make the biggest mistake that they have made this year". [4/6/97] New York Times.

The real threat is that Silver might agree to further weakening. Put your pressure on him and your local assembly people and Senators; hold them responsible for further weakening.

The purpose of the Grandstand was so that the Senators could "STAND UP AND BE COUNTED". [Senator Connor - LES Forum on Housing]

Forget Bruno and lobby day -- they're both a waste of time.

The only person that shouldn't be there on lobby day is Bruno. We don't need anyone to run interference for the Governor. We will represent a clear message to our elected officials. Renew the Rent Laws for 2.7 Million People in New York.

SirLoving@aol.com

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name