Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: Check out the letter I Mailed to the 62 NYS Senators.

Posted by Another opinion on April 29, 1997 at 11:04:10:

In Reply to: Check out the letter I Mailed to the 62 NYS Senators. posted by Sir Loving on April 28, 1997 at 19:48:06:

: April 22, 1997

: Dear Senator,

: I think all rent laws should be renewed as they are because these laws enable many people to live decent lives.

: Those reasons still exist today even more than ever before. Rent regulations should stay on the books as they assist the majority of the real hard working people of New York State.

Personally, I think the letter sucks (sorry). Within your letter you were trying to give policy advice but had no REAL SUBSTANCE. Instead you went on and on about typical evil landlord stuff, which may work within this friendly forum, but you are speaking to people who are not insiders. You should tell your story ... why saving rent control is important to you. Give personal details. Stop talking as a third person.

Lawmakers are no idiots. I imagine the changes being considered are backed by good polling information that tells them voters are willing to see change. Which gives reason to consider the do or die strategy being taken by political consultants representing us may backfire.

Am I worried about loosing the swing votes over this issue the way it is currently being handled? Yes, I am.

Is it obvious that the only the zealots are participating within this forum. Yes, but that is probably okay, being this is a special interest issue. (This is our base)

However, the subject at the state level is more of a good government/policy issue. If you must write third party letters, you need substance (not opinions). Wouldn't be a bad idea to pretend you are a bit more moderate and writing from the heart. I know someone who is sending letter after letter ... the exact same text but sent from different authors, each version being printed out using different fonts. What does she think, receivers are only counting pages?

Just another point of view ...

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name