Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: Boycotting State Goods

Posted by MikeW on May 09, 1997 at 12:06:13:

In Reply to: Re: Boycotting State Goods posted by TenantNet on May 09, 1997 at 10:17:18:

: What you mean "we" kimosabe? Just a few days ago you stated:
: "Rent regulation is the heroin of housing policy... We'll never have
: a properly functioning housing market (like the rest of the country
: does) until the regulations end."

: As they say, either shit or get off the can. You can't be on both sides.
: I don't fully agree with the boycott either and I've told the poster this
: in lengthy emails where it's been fleshed out to some degree. But at
: least this person is trying to do **something** which is a lot more
: than can be said for many people and politicians.

I am a tenent in a rent stabilized apartment. So whether I like it or not, I'm part of this.

As far as my heroin analogy, do you doubt:
a). That rent regulation is addicting. A lot of people are acting like addicts who are about to be cut off.
b). That the city would go through 'withdrawl' if the regs are removed.
c). That if we had never gone down this path in the first place (back in 1947) that there would be more housing, of better quality, with more equitable rents (as in the rest of the country.)

Now I know that an egg can't be unscrambled. We have to deal with the circumstances as they now exist. But I also attribute most of the problems in the NYC housing market to excessive government meddling, including but not limited to rent regulation. I do not believe that the NYC real estate market is immune to the same market forces that govern the rest of the country, which has very little of the problems we do.

The situation we face is the withdrawl issue. I fully agree that a lot of people will get hurt if the regs die. How many and how badly is up for discussion. I also believe that the current system is arbitrary, inequitable, and has unduly benefited a large number of renters who don't need protection. And the way it is mutating, it is turning into even more of a catch 22 situation for millions of people.

If we could ever get to a free market situation, I think people will end up wondering what all the fuss was about, but at this point a lot of people are in panic. And as usual, the decisions about this will end up being decided on politics not policy.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name