Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Desperately need advice on lease options - please help!

Posted by Jen g. on July 28, 1997 at 21:14:04:

TenantNet:

I am in an apartment with no stove and a refrigerator that doesn't work. I have asked for replacements and for some other repairs, even through an attorney, and nothing has been done. The landlord apparently takes it as a personal offense that I even asked and has responded by continual attempts at harassment and intimidation (such as round the clock banging against my wall, loud knocking on the door at 3 & 4 am, inappropriate sexual comments, and entering my apartment and breaking things when I am gone). I at first tried withholding the rent to try and get repairs, He responded by suing me in small claims for an amount four times what I owe. He didn't show up & the case was dismissed. He hasn't sued in Landlord Tenant court - at first because the building was registered, now possibly because his behavior has been too outrageous to have any chance at winning. i tried also paying the rent, hoping that I could at least live in my apartment peacefully without noise or break-ins, even if I couldn't have appliances. I have offered to leave and drop claims to any HP or harassment suit, but he won't agree to let me leave, either. What are my options? Currently, I'm not allowed to live there in peace or privacy; and I'm not allowed to leave either. It doesn't make sense.

Thanks for your assistance!!

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name