Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: Deposit was cashed

Posted by TenantNet on August 26, 1997 at 11:28:57:

In Reply to: Deposit was cashed posted by Edward on August 20, 1997 at 01:02:01:

: Hi all,

: I was going to rent an apartment from a Dallas, Tx complex. I had already gave the leasing agent a check, and they were still working in my paper work. I got a call from the leasing agent that there was one piece of paper missing and that I would be needed asap. I told the leasing agent that I was on my way. When I got to the office, they had already given my apartment to someone else, and on top of that they had already cashed my deposit check. I attempted to get a check written by the leasing agent so that I could have my check. They said that they could mail me the check, I told them no. How can you mail me a check when I don't even know where I will be living at ( I was scheduled to vacate my apartment on the 17th, and was scheduled to moving on the 17th, and it was the 15th of august). Well I called back on the 16th to see if anything caould be done to get a check from the regional office (which is only 25 miles away), they said that they were stiil working on it. I called the manager yesterday and talked to her, I requested the name and number of her manager, and was denied. She said that they would not speak to me even if she did give me their number. So I found the number and contacted a representative from the management office. He said that he would call me back, never heard from him again. I dont sem to understand, why a check can not be written and overnite mailed to the complex office where I can pick up the check. I also do not understand Why they cashed my deposit, when I havent even signed the lease, I never even got the dam apartment!

Landlord scam 101 -- they hope you will go away. Go immediately to your
local attorney general's office or see a private lawyer. Given that they
cashed the check (and I don't know Texas law on this) you might have had
certain rights to the unit (or they might be liable for your expenses
for the quandry that they put you in). I would look into it.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name