Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: Deny a Lease & Security Deposit

Posted by Mariel on September 10, 1997 at 23:57:59:

In Reply to: Deny a Lease & Security Deposit posted by Maria on September 10, 1997 at 12:00:08:

: I live in a rent stablized building with ten apts. I have lived here for nearly four years and I pay my rent promptly on the first of each month and have had no disputes with my landlord. I want to know under what circumstances can I be denied a renewal lease when my current one expires. I know about taking the apt for the landlords personal use, but is there any other reasons? The reason I ask is that I have never received any notice about my security deposit. The landlord has never notified me of where my money is kept or any interest received. I believe that he never lodged my sec dep in a seperate account at all. I wrote a letter asking for details of my money, about 3 weeks ago and never received a reply. I want to know where I stand with lease renewal options before I pursue this matter further. I know legally I have rights to my security dep and cannot be thrown out for that, but is there any sneaky ways that he can deny me a renewal? Many thanks for any help you may have.
>>
As far as I know, besides wanting the apt. for family, the only other reason for denying a renewal is if he/she can prove that you are causing a nuisance in the building and endangering other tenants. I think this is usually difficult to prove in court unless other tenants testify. Included in being a nuisance would be the sale of illegal substances.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name