Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: HELP!!!! NEED ADVICE FAST!!!!

Posted by Mariel on September 27, 1997 at 19:35:09:

In Reply to: HELP!!!! NEED ADVICE FAST!!!! posted by Rem on September 27, 1997 at 00:51:19:

: I have fouled things up and am currently behind in rent (8 months).
: Unfortunately, I have been through quite an ordeal this year and have
: not been able to catch up. This month I received my regular rent envelope
: on 9/25 requesting the 8 months which is do the 1st of every month.
: But it also said "10/1 - Eviction".
: I don't know what to do. I am ready to pay him what I owe now. But is it too late? Should I start looking for a new place? I have 2 young children and don't know what to do. Please advise.
: Can my landlord just have me evicted on 5 days without sending me anything legal? Again, please advise.
If you have the money for the back rent, you shouldn't worry about being evicted. Also, you cannot be evicted without first being sent a notice to appear in court.
One thing you could do is to bring the back rent to the office of the owner but make sure you get a receipt for payment (extremely important). If you send in a check, send it by certified mail. Then you will be able to show the court that you did pay the back rent. If you do end up in court, the only thing likely to happen is that you will be ordered to pay the back rent.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name