Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Thirty day notice problem

Posted by Jim S. on October 15, 1997 at 11:03:10:

I would appreciate any advice on the following situation:

I have been renting my apartment since July 1996. I renewed my lease for a one year period beginning July 1997, agreeing to the rent increase and security deposit increase. It is NOT rent controlled or rent stabilized.

On October 1, 2, 3, I received notices that the landlord wished to terminate my lease, citing a provision in the lease agreement which states the landlord can terminate the lease with 30 days notice if the landlord intends to sell the apartment. As the landlord owns a significant numbers of units in my building, several tenants received this notice. It is my understanding that it is possible that the units are being sold to combine adjoining units, and increase the rents.

Finding a new apartment (and incuring the substantial costs involved therewith) would prove to be extremely difficult for me at the current time. As I will starting a new job in next week after searching for 1.5 months, I will have a difficult time meeting the requirements to get a new apartment. Additionally, to my knowledge I have been an excellent tenant making all payments on time and receiving no complaints regarding my tenancy.

I will be happy to leave the apartment as soon as I find, qualify for, and can make the payments on, a new apartment. However, this will not be possible before Nov. 1. I certainly appreciate any help or direction on this matter. I would like to thank in advance those offering their assistance.

Jim S.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name