Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: Rent stabalized apartment rent is too high!

Posted by jilly on October 21, 1997 at 16:48:54:

In Reply to: Rent stabalized apartment rent is too high! posted by NG on October 21, 1997 at 00:34:37:

: Hi,

: I just moved into an apt on the Upper West Side Sept 1. 1997. This is a rent stabalized apt (as indicated on my lease). If just found out that the tenant before me was paying $1500.00 and I am paying $1,940.00. Can the landlord raise the rent by that much for the next tenant? The only improvements made before I moved in was a new kitchen sink and repainted walls. The stove and refrigerator are old. Is there any way for me to find out what my landlord can legally charge for my rent stabalized apt? What city dept to I get in touch with to verify this for me?

: thanks,
: NG

It's possible that the previous tenant was paying less than the officially registered rent. I think the landlord can charge a percentage over the official registered rent, even if the previous tenant was paying less.
Lots of tenants were charged less than the official rent in the early nineties, when the market was soft. But every year the official rent got higher and higher, waiting for the day the old tenant would move out and new ones move in.
Or maybe you somehow got gouged for the sink.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name