Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: Roommates- I have to get them out!

Posted by MikeW on December 04, 1997 at 14:43:28:

In Reply to: Roommates- I have to get them out! posted by Tracy on December 04, 1997 at 06:48:33:

: I live in an apartment where the lease is solely in my name. I live with two people that I have decided are obnoxious and I want them to leave.

: At the advice of a lawyer, I gave them 30 day eveiction notices (before the first of December) where I called myself the "prime-tenant" and them the "occupants." I had it delivered by personal service with witnesses in the apartment.

: Now my two roommates have told me they have consulted a lawyer who has told them they have "equal rights" to the apartment. They have also threatened to sue me (though they won't tell me why) and messed with my stuff. They also will not give me phone calls and being generable miserable, even worse than before.

: My hunch says that they are bluffing with all of their legal talk and are just buying time. However, I really cannot live with them. Legally, is there anything else I can do to get them out on 12/31/97? WHen and who can someone change the locks in regard to the 30 day notice? And also, I have two people who would like to move in- can I show them the apartment in these 30 days?

: Thanks for any advice anyone might have in dealing with this situation.

I assume you have no written roomate agreement with them. You will need to start eviction proceedings in housing court if they won't go volantarily. You can't just have the locks changed, or they can start civil and criminal proceedings against you.

As far as them messing with your stuff, if they do, you could probably file some sort of criminal complaint. But you'll need solid proof. This might be a good time to find a store that sells spy cameras. If you catch them, it would probably give you leverage in getting them out. I'd also start carrying around a tape recorder in case the make some incriminating comments.

I'd also get yourself an voice mail box, so you can get messages without going through the phone in the apartment.

I don't know if you've ever gotten a divorce, but you about to experience most of the charms of that process.

Good luck.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name