Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Please see my post at top regarding sublet.

Posted by matt on December 15, 1997 at 23:57:07:

In Reply to: safe area for apt? posted by Amy on December 09, 1997 at 17:55:17:

If you are subletting the apartment keep in mind the it is llegal for the sublettor to charge you more than he is paying. If you are overcharged, you are entitled to triple the amount of overcharge in damages (although if you bring this up you won't get the place anyway). Also, keep in mind that the actual rent on our nice 3 bedroom is only $642. If we are able to get our own lease (see above) this will probably rise to about $750. I'm willing to bet your apartment is rent stabilized and $1300 is way high. I live not too far above the area you are looking at and don't mind the area at all. My superficial observation is that some areas around 121 and 147 can seem a little hairy to the uninitiated but that in between is easy to get used to. I was intimidated at first, but am not now. Harlem to me is more interesting and vital to me than many more expensive areas of the city. Take the same precautions that you would anywhere at night

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name