TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Eviction?

Posted by Karla Lucas on January 03, 1998 at 04:37:28:

We live in a mobile home park just south of Topeka Ks. We have lived in this
park for 5 years now. We own our trailer and have never had problems with our
lot landlord until this past year.
My husband was laid off from his job the first week of December and won't be going back until sometime in mid-March. We talked to our landlord about this because we wanted to be honest with them - we told them that until my husband started drawing unemployment regularly, we'd be late on the rent. This was no problem, they said. They'd "work with us" on it.
Now, (12-31-97) suddenly we have until 1-5 to pay the back rent, or we're supposed to move out immediately. Roger just got his first check Friday - for $175. They say we have to leave our trailer here, with the appliances.
We had no lease agreement. There were only the park rules and regs, which we have always abided by.
If we could move the trailer, we would. Unfortunately, it's 33 years old and zoning laws won't permit it - a fact that they are well aware of.
I thought the 14/30 rule might cover this. Will it? I can get the money out of our retirement account, but can't access it until the 5th, and it could take as long as 2 weeks to get it.
Is a mobile home considered real, or personal, property? According to my interpetation of what I've been reading on the web, they have no rights to our home or our appliances - only for the money we owe. Is this right?
I'm certain there's something going on we don't know about. Last month, they shot and killed our dog when he broke out of his pen (1st time in 1 1/2 years.) However, I have counted no less than 8 dogs running loose out here in the past week - and nothing is being done about them.
This past May, they moved our trailer onto a smaller lot because their daughter wanted the one we were on. We agreed to this. The deal was that they were to move the house, level it, and skirt it for free. We waited for three months for them to finish the job - then got a notice that if we didn't skirt the trailer in 5 days we'd be evicted. When asked about this, the landlady said she did it because of zoning and not to worry about it. Why didn't she walk over and tell us this (all of 100') instead of sending us a certified letter? At any rate, nothing came of that.
Please don't tell me to buy a newer mobile home in a different park. If we could have, we'd have done that last May!
I don't know what to do or whom to believe anymore. I heard on the grapevine that they're trying to drive all non-relatives out of the park, and I'm beginning to believe it. I used to work with her several years back and I thought we could trust her. We've been late a couple of times before over the years and have always got it caught up. I'm beginning to wonder if they aren't simply trying to get their hands on our trailer.
Any advice would be appreciated, ASAP!!!!!

Thanks,
Karla

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name