Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: Problems with potential landlords

Posted by Greg Patterson on February 07, 1998 at 11:12:06:

In Reply to: Problems with potential landlords posted by Alan Cross on February 03, 1998 at 07:28:06:

: Talk about a culture shock! I'm planning a move from Oklahoma City to New York city and I've had some difficulties in securing a lease with my girlfriend to an appartment.

: 1) The first group we dealt with, after taking our deposit said the landlord had decided the apartment we wanted should go to a family. (It's a small one-bedroom) The agent (at Sachman) then said we could have a smaller one-bedroom for a hundred bucks less a month if we wanted it. To me, it sounds fishy.
: 2) Yesterday we were informed by another agent that we would have to prepay the entire year's lease to get an appartment. This comes, ironically enough, when I sent him a statement of my net worth which includes a small inheritance from a deceased relative. The landlord informed my girlfriend that as we weren't married, we constituted a risk. After all, he told her, "What's to say he won't run off with a New York lady once you get here?"

: Our financial info seems to be in order. We both have jobs. What's the deal?
: Thanks for your help.

Welcome to the world of NYC crooks, er... landlords
BTW, Oklahoma ladies are premium compared to NYC. Don't worry and count yer blessings.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name