Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

no lease/last month's rent

Posted by S. Nichols on February 18, 1998 at 20:30:59:

I have been living in my current dwelling for a year and a half (it’s one half of my landlord’s house). When I moved in, I paid first and last month’s rent and signed NO LEASE whatsoever. We had a verbal agreement that I would stay at least a year, which I did.

The landlord informed me several weeks ago that he and his wife would like to take back my side of the house because they want to live in it, and told me that I had until May to find another place to live. Fair enough. Rent was due on the 15th of this month, so instead of paying it I told him to use my last month’s rent now and I would move. He pitched a fit, saying I needed to give him one month’s notice before using my last month’s rent (I’m assuming he already spent it). So basically, my time is up on the 15th of next month.

My question is this: if I haven’t found a place to live by the 15th of next month, what can he legally do to me? I offered to pay him for every day I am here, but he wants me OUT. What are my rights? And can he take me to court for any damages since I didn’t pay a security deposit?

I would appreciate a reply before Friday. Thanks

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name