Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: Landlord is up to something, but what?

Posted by Israel on April 20, 1998 at 22:23:14:

In Reply to: Landlord is up to something, but what? posted by Jeff on April 20, 1998 at 15:38:48:

Do you still have the workers (electrician/plumer) name and address? Work order recipts? The landlord may be trying to recover one of the apartments and is trying to put blame on you for the conditions in that apartment. Get statements (if you can) about who refered the workers to your home (namely your landlord), and look for your past leases... They must specify the two apartments as one residence, because he can recover one if it is not you primary residance. Money and greed changes may hearts. I feel for you. Any other Answers???

: I rent 2 adjacent stabilized apts. For years I asked my landlord if I could connect them - finally he said OK. I used his handyman and we put a doorway through.

: Earlier, after years of begging to put in a washer/dryer in what used to be the kitchen in one of them, he said OK and I put in the washer.The landlord's electrician of choice wired the 220 and his plumbers of choice installed the plumbing. I paid for it.

: I've been trying to get painted for almost a year. LL came and "inspected" roof leaking water damage (said I couldn't get painted without him looking at it, a lie I know) and really was there looking at the doorway joining the apartments.

: Now he denies he ever said I could do either of these things. He OK'ed it on the phone. I don't have it in writing, OK I'm a sap even after 17 years here but we'd always had a decent if occasionally rocky relationship. (Really a sap!!)

: He has stopped cashing my checks. He sent a letter saying a search would be made of my premises and he would compel me to get rid of the washer and the opening joining the apartments.

: I'd like to keep the washer nd the connecting apartments. Any ideas on what I should I do?

: He has sent my rent checks to his lawyer. This sounds ominous.

: Thanks for any help.

: Jeff

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name