Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Initial rent registration

Posted by Theresa on May 01, 1998 at 20:11:37:

I moved into my apartment in 1990. I was the first rent stabilized tenant. The previous tenant was rent controlled. No work was put into the apartment so that the landlord could get me in as quickly as possible so he could quickly start collecting rent. I always thought that I was being overcharged. No RR-1 form was ever sent to me. In 1996 I sent him a certified letter telling him that I thought I was being overcharged and he should send me proof that a RR-1 form was sent to me. He never responded so I immediatley filed a complaint with the DHCR. Since he had never filed this form, he filed it with the DHCR one year later (seven years late) proving he had originally never done so. As I suspected, the previous rent controlled tenant was paying hundreds of dollars less than I was. According to the 1990 fair market guidelines, I am be overcharged hundreds of dollars.

If anyone knows the answers to the following questions, it would be highly appreciated:

1) Does the new four year rule have any bearing on my pending DHCR case? If I was overcharged, how many years is the landlord responsible for?

2) Shouldn't the DHCR immediately have frozen my rent to what it originally should have been until this situation is resolved?

3) Can the landlord be responsible for treble damages?

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name