Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Landlord demands cash only for rent & retalitory harrassment

Posted by Barbara Erickson on May 03, 1998 at 07:53:05:

Can anyone advise me why my landlord has always asked for cash for rent and has refused every check I gave him. Also, because, I can only withdraw only $300, sometimes I am a day or two late as I have to get the remainder of the rent ($50.) on the next day. I would rather pay him by check, so I do not have this problem. What can I do?

Also, are ants swarming the kitchen sink a case of "inhabitability"?

I rent a room in the landlords house. Since I moved in (4) years ago, now, he has not provided me with a lock on my bedroom door. He often leaves the house and leaves a note for his piano students to enter through a side door, no matter if there is anyone here or not. Does this violates my right for security?

My landlord is exhibiting signs of retalitory harrassment, as I had to call the police on him twice since I lived here. Once, for playing piano
drills til 3 AM after I come home from work at midnight, he did this for several nights til I finnally had to call the police. They came and asked him to stop playing. Another time, I was in my room with the door open, my landlord came home and started shouting at me for changing the temperature controls on his refrigerater and that a bottom bin of grapefruit he picked from his backyard had frozen and spoiled. I told him I had to change the temperature as my milk was going bad. Would these be grounds to withhold rent on a month to month agreement?

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name