Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: Small claims court

TenantNet posted in the TenantNet Conference Area

Dated : May 24, 1998 at 21:09:58
Subject: Re: Small claims court

: Does anyone have any experience/advice using small claims court to recoup money from landlord/management company?

: What happens in court? What info do I need?

: I am trying to get management company to reimburse me for over $3,000 in costs

: I incurred for increased security due to their decreasing the security in my

: apartment. HP action did no good--case was dismissed, found no violation.

: Am trying DHCR for rent decrease but don't have much hope, will probably take years.

: Any advice would be appreciated! HP action is to compel needed repairs. Regular Housing Court is for nonpayment of rent -- you can deduct and use this as a defense... repair and deduct is what it's called, but that won't always fly in NY. DHCR is to reduce rent for decreased services, but only after you file. I would try housing court or small claims, but it will be hard either way in NYC.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:


TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name