Posted by P Coppola on June 23, 1998 at 20:56:11:
About a year ago, I decided to sublet my NY apartment while I travelled to
Los Angeles on extended business. I found a good sublettor
and he and I have a written Sublet Agreement between us: he acts as my houseguest and
takes care of the place for me, and I charge him exeactly what the
rent costs. For a year, everthing has been fine: my sublettor has looked
after my place and paid the rent on time. When it came time to make
the decision whether or not I should renew my original lease (it ends
July 31, 1998), I decided to let the apartment go. This was fine with
my sublettor as he had other arrangements.
But 2 days ago, literally one day after I decide to give up my
NY apartment, I get a certified letter from the lawyers of my building.
They have found out that I am subletting and sent me a "Notice To Cure"
letter saying that I had to kick out my tenant by July 2nd
and that I have to pay the "legal" fees that it costs to do this.
Doesanybody have any experience with this kind of thing? Do I have any
rights here whatsoever and how can I handle this while still in CA? It seems to
me that much of this Notice is "blowing smoke". If I send the lawyers
a certified letter acknowleding the situation, and telling them that I
do not intend to renew the lease and that my housitter should be allowed
to sray in my plave until the end of my lease, will that be good enough?
Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup